Why It Matters to North Carolina and its Communites, Residents and Businesses
Providing access to high-quality education has obvious benefits for North Carolina's children. But improving edcuation is a
rising tide that floats all boats, providing benefits to the state and its communities, residents, and businesses. Research
shows that high-achieving public schools can help make states and comminities more economically competitive and
positively impact economic development. They have a positive influence on residential property values and population
growth. Businesses are attracted to communities that have a growing source of customers and well-trained employees.
Here's the proof that everyone wins when all North Carolina students succeed in school:1
On average, a high school graduates in North Carolina earns $8,095 more each year than a high school dropout does.
- The total lost lifetime earning for the 2011 class of North Carolina dropouts is $4.4 billion.
- The North Carolina's high schools were to graduate all students ready for college, the state would likely save as much as $168 million on college remediation costs and lost earnings.
- Of just half of North Carolina's dropouts had graduated, they would likely have provided the following economic benefits to the state:
- $655 million in increased home sales
- $30 million in increased annual auto sales
- 2,600 new jobs
- $376 million increase in the gross state product
- $28 million in increased annual state tax revenue
 From the Alliance for Excellence in Education’s research on the 2010-2011 school year, http://www.all4ed.org/files/NorthCarolina_hs.pdf
How to Participate
Most Track My Steps families are referred to us by school administrators, human services agencies, or other nonprofit
organizations, but familes can also contact us directly. Track My Steps charges an affordable membership fee: $10/month
for a month-by-month membership or $60/year for an annual membership. Families must complete a short form and
questionaire to qualify for membership.
Invite Track My Steps to speak at your next event.
Become a sustaining member.
Give to support our efforts to close achievement gaps!